Monday, January 4, 2010

The Talented Mr. Mayer

One of the presents my husband got me for Christmas was John Mayer's latest album, Battle Studies. As usual, Mr. Mayer has proven himself to be a first class musician and lyricist. The album is filled with songs about heartbreak and odes to the single life (fitting given Mr. Mayer's penchant for serial dating), and I have been listening to it almost non-stop since getting it.

I love John Mayer not just because he's so friggin' hot. I mean, hello:


As someone (slightly) obsessed with words and language, I love his lyrics. For instance, in the first track off this album, Heartbreak Warfare, he writes: "How come the only way to know how high you get me, is to see how far I fall? God only knows how much I'd love you if you let me, but I can't break through it all." Totally captures how the people we love the most are also the ones that can hurt us the worst. How sometimes you just push to see how far you can go.

And in Edge of Desire, he sings, "Don't say a word just come over and lie here with me. 'Cause I'm just about to set fire to everything I see. I want you so bad I'll go back on the things I believe. There I just said it, I'm scared you'll forget about me." The yearning in his voice, I mean...wow. Makes me weak at the knees. I'd be over in a heartbeat! (Except for the fact that I'm happily married of course.)

Anyway, just wanted to share my latest obsession. If you want a copy of Battle Studies or any of Mr. Mayer's other masterpieces, you can get them here. (I highly recommend Continuum, which in my opinion is his best work to date.) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I like to describe him as a lyrical genius. I'm glad Blake gave you such a great Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete